[reportlab-users] Umlaut Bug with Adobe Reader and Arial
volker.haas at brainbot.com
Fri May 23 09:01:38 EDT 2014
I just realized that the ttfAsciiReadable=0 trick does only work in the
minimal example script I posted. If I use it in our rendering stack the
fix does not work (I am confident that I am actually changing the
configuration since the PDF files are significantly smaller after
Therefore my question is: if you think this is a bug in reportlab, do
you plan on fixing it?
Am 23.05.2014 13:23, schrieb Volker Haas:
> Am 23.05.2014 12:50, schrieb Robin Becker:
>> I tried some options; turning off ascii readability made the problem
>> go away.
>> set rl_ttfAsciiReadable=0
>> python broken_umlauts.py
>> to see what happens. I did some quick checking with an older (2012)
>> version of reportlab and can see the problem there as well so this
>> isn't related to all the bytes/str changes.
>> The difference between set rl_ttfAsciiReadable=0 / 1 is that for
>> debugging purposes we want to map the standard ascii characters to the
>> first subset in the correct position. That means the default setting
>> makes most ttf strings readable in the (and the whole file a bit
>> longer). When we have ascii readablity = 0 then we try to subset the
>> used characters plus some messing about to preserve space positioning
>> which is required for some reason. At any rate a quick fix for modern
>> reportlab might be to create a reportlab_settings.py somewhere on the
>> python path and put
>> in it.
>> This isn't an answer to the underlying problem, but it may ameliorate
>> the effects.
> Hi Robin,
> thanks for the quick response. I can confirm that the workaround solves
> the problem. Thanks a lot for the hint!
> Best Regards,
PGP Key: http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:firstname.lastname@example.org&fingerprint=on
brainbot technologies ag
Phone: +49 (0)6131 2116394
More information about the reportlab-users