[reportlab-users] Umlaut Bug with Adobe Reader and Arial

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri May 23 09:18:22 EDT 2014

On 23 May 2014 14:01, Volker Haas <volker.haas at brainbot.com> wrote:
> Therefore my question is: if you think this is a bug in reportlab, do
> you plan on fixing it?

There is cleanly no major bug in our code; with 50k+ downloads per
month and users everywhere, we would have heard about it before, and
our code just embeds the TTF information; it doesn't do any drawing of
glyphs.

Adobe's preflight tool in Windows is telling us there is something
wrong with those specific glyphs, when embedded in our PDFs.  We don't
know at the moment whether
(a) we are missing out some optional info or flag when we embed the
font file, or
(b) there is a bug in those glyphs in that font which surfaces under
some rare situations.

We will keep investigating for a while, anyway.

- Andy