[reportlab-users] Umlaut Bug with Adobe Reader and Arial

Volker Haas volker.haas at brainbot.com
Fri May 23 05:20:08 EDT 2014

Hi,

I discovered a problem which only occurs under very specific
circumstances. Umlaut dots are "shifted" notably when using *bold* Arial
font and viewing the PDF with Adobe Reader (Version 11.0.06 in Windows
7). Even more strange is the fact that the rendering is fine when
magnifying the PDF to 800%. The PDF looks good with other PDF Viewers.

Rendering was done with the latest reportlab version in Linux(Ubuntu) with the
attached script (the Arial font was pulled from a Windows Installation).
I have uploaded the resulting/faulty PDF to http://pediapress.com/files/rl/broken_umlauts.pdf

I have no idea if this is a bug in reportlab, but I would expect Arial
to work fine in PDFs in general.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? (google wasn't helpful)

Best Regards,
Volker

--
PGP Key: http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?search=volker.haas@brainbot.com&fingerprint=on