[reportlab-users] ReportLab 3.x packaging and deployment

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Tue Jan 14 06:00:43 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:22:02AM +0000, Robin Becker wrote:

> Will pip know how to download the appropriate reportlab.deb for a

> debian/mint/ubuntu system and install into a venv

No.

> or will we be responsible for creating an assortment of wheels

No. In fact PyPI doesn't allow you to upload binary wheels for Linux
systems right now (because there's no single ABI, and the naming
convention for distinguishing the various ABIs out there is still a work
in progress in some PEP somewhere).

Wheels for pure-Python packages are fine, and speed up pip install a
bit.

> or do we just rely on source packages and try and guess where all the

> required libs are?

Yes :/

In theory if you're a large user and know your target platform, you can
build your own wheels once, put them on an Intranet server somewhere,
and point pip to that server, to speed up multiple installs. That's one
of the primary use cases of wheels, AFAIU.

It would be awesome if I could sudo apt-get install python-reportlab and
then somehow make it available in selected virtualenvs, but that's a
discussion for another list.

Marius Gedminas
--
To express oneself