[reportlab-users] ReportLab 3.x packaging and deployment

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 14 06:19:01 EST 2014

On 14 January 2014 11:00, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

> It would be awesome if I could sudo apt-get install python-reportlab and

> then somehow make it available in selected virtualenvs, but that's a

> discussion for another list.

Dumb questions but can't you...

1. sudo apt-get install python-reportlab
2. create a virtualenv with no site packages
3. make a symlink from the venv's site-packages to the system reportlab?

I concluded long ago that pip can't do everything. All of our web
projects (and we have a LOT) have a shell script at the top level to
build/rebuild the environment. So we can check if a symlink exists
and create one if it's missing, and do other "procedural" stuff.

A requirements.txt which specifies all dependencies is a wonderful
thing to have anyway. And pip is happy enough for pure when you add a
couple more pure Python packages to tour requirements in an existing
project overnight. But it needs a lot of 'nursing through'. Right
now I'm working on someone else's financial app needing matplotlib,
scipy (hence fortran), tables (hence HDF5 which absolutely demands a
local source build inside the venv) etc etc.

- Andy