[reportlab-users] ReportLab 3.x packaging and deployment

Michael Hipp michael at redmule.com
Mon Jan 13 16:37:47 EST 2014

On 1/13/2014 2:26 PM, Andy Robinson wrote:

> We're all completely new to wheels. I frequently run pip over

> requirements files for a couple of dozen substantial web apps on Mac

> OS and Linux, and have never noticed wheels rolling past or anything

> with that extension, although I can't claim to have looked.

> Dumb questions, but will all the pips and easy_installs out there in

> the wild know what to do with a wheel? Do they actually remove the

> need for us to ship .msi or .exe, today?

I can speak only for myself ... but I relish the day when my build-out of a
python install means run the python installer and then *everything* else is pip
inside a venv. The ability to get full binary installs that way sounds like a
dream come true. (I'll have one less reason to be jealous of those that get to
work in a posix environment.)

But, as you said, the newness of it very possibly means your user/customer base
won't be ready to give up the exe/msi method for a while. I'd like to hear
others chime in.

Michael