[reportlab-users] ReportLab 3.x packaging and deployment

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 13 13:03:28 EST 2014

> Wouldn't your time be better spent making wheels instead of exes or msis? What I

> want is for pip to be able to fetch wheels directly from pypi and skip the

> manual download/install steps.

> Or am I missing something?

Wheels are the future perhaps, but I haven't used them at all.
I just managed to build one, but its name comes out as

reportlab-3.0a1-cp33-none-win32.whl

so clearly I'm missing some label or other in setup.py. I will also have to try
and build an amd64 version if it uses the underlying distutils then I'm OK.
Altering setup.py to require setuptools before they're part of the standard
library doesn't seem right to me, but we probably have to. I suppose I can
always build locally without changing setup.py for source downloaders.