[reportlab-users] Styling within platypus flowables

Brenda J. Butler bjb at sourcerer.ca
Wed Feb 5 11:02:31 EST 2014

Some background info on "lyric/chord sheets" is given below, to help
with problem comprehension. This message, or at least the example
bits below, should be viewed with a fixed-width font. I regret I know
nothing about chordlab, but I've seen a few chord sheets.

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 10:29:35AM +0000, Robin Becker wrote:

> On 05/02/2014 01:24, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> >Tim Roberts:

> Can you explain exactly what is missing from standard paragraphs etc

> etc? I realize we can't yet get a standard paragraph to draw the

> staff (horizontal lines) etc etc, but a derived type probably could.

Lyric/chord sheets would look like this: (pretend the text below is a
song, and the letters underneath are what an accompanying guitar or
piano might play) (sorry I'm not a musician, I picked the "chords"
below at random)

I suppose it would probably
G D A# F D

be best to create a Flowable that
G D A# F D

handles your 'text' and knows how
A# D A# F

to 'break' and 'split' etc etc.
G D F D

The placement of the chords should be at the appropriate
syllable where it is to be played. There is no indication
of rhythm, just chords and when they should be played with
respect to the words.

No need for staff or horizontal lines, but horizontal spacing
for the chords is essential and needs to be coordinated with
the words in the line above, sometimes even being located in
the right part of the middle of a word (see "Flowable").
It is ok to put more spaces between words to make space
for the chords below - or to split words out:

be best to create a Flow-a-ble that
G D A# F D

Or to put the chord in the middle of the syllable to which
it applies (see "Flowa-ble"):

be best to create a Flow-a-ble that
G D A# F D

Did I miss anything, Nick? Hopefully this is what you meant
and I didn't completely misunderstand.

bjb