[reportlab-users] Shift Table to Top of Page

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue May 14 12:36:38 EDT 2013

I'm sorry to say that this isn't a new problem; Adobe has been doing
this for many, many years. It is also linked to your printer model.

Home printers usually have a non-printing area around the edge of the
page - especially inkjets. In general, if you design documents to
leave an inch or so of white space around the edges, you're OK,
because Acrobat Reader will detect that nothing is going to get 'cut
off' and it won't need to shrink things. But with colours or lines
to the edge, this problem happens for almost anyone printing at home.
Once upon a time we had a subroutine to print horizontal and
vertical 'rulers' on a page, and I would print them off, get out a
real ruler, and see how much that particular print driver had scaled
and shifted things by. Doing mailing labels took several trials and
errors!

- Andy

On 14 May 2013 17:17, The Helmbolds <helmrp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> FYI, I have discovered a crucial part of the problem, and it lies with Adobe

> Reader.

> The new versions of Adobe Reader (i.e., versions 10 and 11) default to

> printing pdf files to "fit" them to page (using default margins). As far as

> I can see, this means that:

>> All scaling done in Report Lab is destroyed by the Adobe Reader default.

>> For example, cutout patterns will not print to the correct scale. Nor will

>> tables, forms, or other *.pdf files that need to maintain an exact scale.

>> Report Lab tables or any other *.pdf items that must be "registered" to

>> specific locations on the printed output page will not be placed in their

>> correct locations.

> One work-around is to first "display" the Report Lab output to the screen

> (for example, by using os.system(outfilename), and then manually use Adobe

> Reader's "File" options to select the "Actual Size" option before printing.

> I find this extremely annoying, as it has to be done again for each new

> print job.

> I have not found, and do not believe that there exists in current Adobe

> Reader versions 10 and 11, any way to set the default printing to always use

> "Actual Size". There may be a way to do this in Adobe Acrobat, but that's

> too expensive for our little library.

> Bob and Paula Helmbold

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420