[reportlab-users] Moving to Bitbucket, and development roadmap..

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Mar 25 13:26:20 EDT 2013

Andy Robinson:

> I would like to know how people feel the test suite SHOULD work.

> Right now, it runs cleanly for us as described in the README - if you

> have just installed, and thus compiled the extensions.

The most important to me is to follow most people's intuition (and mine)
which says roughly "I test something *before* I install it". If you need
to install something first before you can fully test it, your system can
be already broken, rotten, infected or anything else.

So I strongly recommend testing everything right after unpacking in a
local directory. If things are fine, people will like to install. The
other way round many people will regret having installed it or at least
feel uneasy about it, which is not the desired effect, I suppose.

> But I am

> conscious a test suite could do many things including

> - pure unit tests, runnable anywhere

> - tests which produce PDF files which someone will hopefully eyeball,

> and which have a lot of teaching value (but may need a configurable

> output directory).

> - tests which might be skipped sometimes - _rl_accel not compiled,

> PIL not present, interwebs not available etc - should you see

> something printed, or just an 'S'?

I would be explicit and say if something was skipped, and why.

> I am wondering if we should break it up a little so that 'setup.py

> test' does the minimum, but a separate 'runall/testall' script

> actually gave you options, unlike the current one which generates

> manuals and takes quite a while.

Seperating the manuals into a specific option would be fine I think.

> Finally, if anyone knows of a reproducible bug we have missed, today

> is about your last chance to report it before our 2.7 release. Please

> use the bitbucket tracker or report it here!

That's *very* short notice... ;-) BTW, could we deprecate reporting bugs
on this list, except maybe for discussing bugs reported in BitBucket?

Also, you might consider using py.test over unittest, which is also
very nice, but not in the standard library.

Regards,

Dinu