[reportlab-users] Handling TrueType fonts not allowing subsetting

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Jun 17 12:31:12 EDT 2013

We have seen many of them. It's a designer's choice and if they set
that flag, we respect it. I think it is probably more about the
rights to embed the font than to subset it; they want it to be used
for printed materials but not "distributed" further.

Perhaps you should only stick to Open Source fonts where you have the
right to change the glyphs as well as delete them ;-)

- Andy

On 17 June 2013 13:44, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi,

> I've stumbled for the first time over a TrueType font, that doesn't

> allow subsetting, see traceback below. Strange enough a thing to

> do... Does anybody know a workaround? Maybe if only including the

> whole font without subsetting?

> BTW, this is on Py 2.7.5, RL, 2.7, Mac OS X 10.6.8.

> Thanks,

> Dinu

> $ python test.py

> Traceback (most recent call last):

> File "test.py", line 540, in <module>

> registerTrueTypeFont("FluxMedium", "/Fonts/truetype/flux1.ttf")

> File "test.py", line 108, in registerTrueTypeFont

> font = TTFont(name, path)

> File "/opt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/reportlab/pdfbase/ttfonts.py", line 1009, in __init__

> self.face = TTFontFace(filename, validate=validate, subfontIndex=subfontIndex)

> File "/opt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/reportlab/pdfbase/ttfonts.py", line 915, in __init__

> TTFontFile.__init__(self, filename, validate=validate, subfontIndex=subfontIndex)

> File "/opt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/reportlab/pdfbase/ttfonts.py", line 413, in __init__

> self.extractInfo(charInfo)

> File "/opt/lib/python2.7/site-packages/reportlab/pdfbase/ttfonts.py", line 544, in extractInfo

> raise TTFError, 'Font does not allow subsetting/embedding (%04X)' % fsType

> reportlab.pdfbase.ttfonts.TTFError: Font does not allow subsetting/embedding (0104)

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420