[reportlab-users] Handling TrueType fonts not allowing subsetting

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Jun 17 09:21:29 EDT 2013

On 17/06/2013 13:44, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> Hi,

> I've stumbled for the first time over a TrueType font, that doesn't

> allow subsetting, see traceback below. Strange enough a thing to

> do... Does anybody know a workaround? Maybe if only including the

> whole font without subsetting?

> BTW, this is on Py 2.7.5, RL, 2.7, Mac OS X 10.6.8.

> Thanks,

> Dinu

I looked at Marius' original code and it seems we never have had the ability to
specify no sub-setting. It's not clear how that would work in PDF anyhow as we
put these out as 256 glyph sub fonts. I assume to allow for single byte
indexing. If a font had more than 256 we'd have to change the storage in PDF and
also the display code.

I believe the intent of the flag is to force inclusion of the whole font to
allow proper editing, but there might be some kind of font copyright issues
going on.