[reportlab-users] Report generation time is not optimized - ideas?

J. R. Carroll jrc.csus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:07:12 EST 2013

Hi Tim,

Yeah, I'm aware that our OE platform is the main culprit of our slow PDF
generation (in fact, most people are surprised that on first pass the
reports are built in that 6-15 sec window - yay ReportLab Dev's) - but
since we can't change that (without some major overhauling) we need to look
at code optimization.

I've built everything in memory, trying to use the reportlab-accelerator,
and several other tricks to improve speed. Early on, I was able to reduce
file sizes from about 300k down to ~120k just by making efficient use of
existing reportlab strategies for dealing with lines (aka Line versus
PolyLine, etc - this also sped-up the report generation considerably). I'm
looking for advice in the way of "well since you are doing so many lines,
have you thought about ___________", or "you are using OE? Well, you
should really download and install ________". But, in the end, if it boils
down to our hardware architecture, then... darn it! =P

We are using an ARMv7, beyond that most of the hardware is unknown to me
(for lots of different reasons).

Got any advice in the form of what I'm looking for? =P

-J

----

J. R. Carroll
Cell: (650) 776-6613