[reportlab-users] Report generation time is not optimized - ideas?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Jan 2 15:40:29 EST 2013

J. R. Carroll wrote:

> Throwing this out there, hoping to catch an idea or two:

> The Setting: our company has an open embedded device that we have

> installed reportlab to. On our local machines, it takes the report

> less than a second to generate the PDF and save to disk - very quick -

> very nice (thank you!). On the target device it's taking anywhere

> from 6.5sec to 15.sec - not the best case scenario I can think of.

Most embedded devices have woefully underpowered CPUs. Remember the
basic purpose of ReportLab is to create Portscript strings from your
method calls, and accumulate them into one big document. That means
vast amounts of string processing, which means lots of memory copies.
What processor are you using?

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.