[reportlab-users] Embedding PostScript to control printer trays

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Aug 13 11:36:10 EDT 2013

Hi Mike,

It certainly did once upon a time, but the practical problem with this
is that we don't have any sufficiently old printers here in the office
against which to test these commands! In addition, in recent years
many printers have switched to direct PDF support. If you call
'addPostScriptCommand()', I would expect that any string you pass in
will be findable in the resulting PDF file.

Can you tell us what kind of printer you are using, and also what
print drivers? Do you know what commands to use? This varies by
printer.

On 13 August 2013 16:07, Mike Driscoll <mike at pythonlibrary.org> wrote:

> Hi,

> My company currently has a need to create PDFs of documents that need

> different paper types. For example, the first page will need to be printed

> on check stock and the next N pages will be on regular paper. So I was

> wondering if the addPostScriptCommand() mentioned at

> http://www.reportlab.com/docs/reportlab-reference.pdf still works? If not,

> does anyone else know of a good way to accomplish this?

> The problem is that we may have a massive file of several hundred or

> thousands of payments in it that will need to be smart enough to pull from

> alternating trays on the printer.

> We're running Python 2.6 on Linux and Windows with the latest Reportlab.

> Thanks!

> Mike Driscoll

> Blog: http://blog.pythonlibrary.org

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420