[reportlab-users] Status of Python 3 port?

Neil Schemenauer nas-python at arctrix.com
Thu Feb 4 16:42:45 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 05:29:35PM +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:

> What I really wanted to do is make a clean break and base a new,

> incompatible, smaller and cleaner 'reportlab3' on Python 3.x. The

> clean distinction between Unicode and byte arrays would be a big plus

> for our kind of library, and an incompatible new version would let us

> do some much better things. But Guido said "don't do that" :-(

I think Guido is right. Having reportlab3 that only runs on Python
3 requires your users to port to reportlab3 at the same time they
are porting to Python 3. If all the other packages they use do the
same thing, that's a huge upgrade hump to get over.

I would vote for a reportlab3 that runs in Python 2.7 and can be
processed by 2to3 to produce a Python 3 version.

Neil