[reportlab-users] Status of Python 3 port?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Feb 4 17:14:58 EST 2010

On 4 February 2010 22:00, Neil Schemenauer <nas-python at arctrix.com> wrote:

> Generally you want to handle text inside your application as unicode

> strings and only encode when writing data.  However, for Reportlab,

> since a PDF really is a sequence of bytes (as far as I know) it may

> make sense to manipulate byte strings in many places.

This is one major reason why I want to do fairly deep work which may
change APIs. We could be clear about what's a byte array and what's
natural-language text. Right now the code flips back and forth
internally in many places and forgives people who muddle them.

We'll have a hard think tomorrow in the office.

- Andy