[reportlab-users] Appending PDF's to each other...

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Tue Sep 1 19:07:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 12:27:13PM +0200, Brower Jason wrote:

> It may be a little off topic but,

> I have very large amounts of data that are processed to create a

> report. When I am gathering data it not only takes a lot of memory

> but a lot of time.

> My solution seems that I create a system similar to pagination. I

> load 8 large parts of the report to make up 1 page of data and then

> save the pdf. I then repeat that until I have all the parts done for

> the PDF.

> Then when they are all done and save to a specific location I append

> them and offer them as a download that the client can click on.

> So, any ideas on software in Linux that could do this Appending PDF

> documents feature on a server application?

You might want to look at pdftk. On my Ubuntu GNU/Linux system,
it's installable with apt-get. Here is a description:

#===================================================
If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic stapler-remover,
hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and X-Ray-glasses. Pdftk is a simple
tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. Keep one in the top drawer
of your desktop and use it to:
* Merge PDF documents
* Split PDF pages into a new document
* Decrypt input as necessary (password required)
* Encrypt output as desired
* Fill PDF Forms with FDF Data and/or Flatten Forms
* Apply a Background Watermark
* Report PDF on metrics, including metadata and bookmarks
* Update PDF Metadata
* Attach Files to PDF Pages or the PDF Document
* Unpack PDF Attachments
* Burst a PDF document into single pages
* Uncompress and re-compress page streams
* Repair corrupted PDF (where possible)

- Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman