[reportlab-users] Numerous pdfs generation

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 9 10:29:31 EST 2009

conceptually there are two memory bottle necks in platypus + canvas.

First is the story itself a long list of flowables. This can be regarded as a
simple sequence which could be kept on disk. There are a number of gotchas eg
multiBuild where Andy throws caution to the wind and a copy of the entire list
is used; that should be fixable as we probably only need to write the list just
once so a copy can avoid recreating the list if it's clever.

The second major storage item is the canvas._doc.Pages.pages list which stores
the streams and data for each page as it is created. Again it should be possible
to keep this list on disk.

However, I suspect this approach will be quite slow.