[reportlab-users] Installing ReportLab on Mac

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 2 07:46:07 EST 2009

I would like any Mac users' advice on installation. Several of us
have started working on Macs recently but don't really know the norms
in the Mac/Python community. We also had trouble ourselves with
occasional instabilities involving C code such as PIL, MySQL and other
extensions we use.

To build reportlab and the extensions on the Mac needs a compiler,
which is not installed by default; or a pre-build package of some
kind. There seem to be several systems for the latter.

We are very interested to know

- how many are using MacPython, and how many use the Python that came
in the box?

- do most Mac developers just set up their compiler and use distutils
or setuptools to install Python packages, or do they use this, or
something else entirely?
http://pythonmac.org/packages/

- if there are any more 'unknown unknowns' when preparing Python
packages for the Mac?

We would consider producing a Mac package if there was enough demand,
as we may be doing the same for our commercial toolkit as well.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect