[reportlab-users] Installing ReportLab on Mac

Reed L. O'Brien Reed.L.OBrien at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 2 08:19:59 EST 2009

On Jan 2, 2009, at 7:46 AM, Andy Robinson wrote:

> I would like any Mac users' advice on installation. Several of us

> have started working on Macs recently but don't really know the norms

> in the Mac/Python community. We also had trouble ourselves with

> occasional instabilities involving C code such as PIL, MySQL and other

> extensions we use.

> To build reportlab and the extensions on the Mac needs a compiler,

> which is not installed by default; or a pre-build package of some

> kind. There seem to be several systems for the latter.

> We are very interested to know

> - how many are using MacPython, and how many use the Python that came

> in the box?

I build custom python(s) to work with and use virtualenv to make
isolated sandboxes so I don't pollute site-packages and get
installation conflicts.

> - do most Mac developers just set up their compiler and use distutils

> or setuptools to install Python packages, or do they use this, or

> something else entirely?

> http://pythonmac.org/packages/

Install XCode and then develop and egg under setup.py develop or using
zc.buildout.

> - if there are any more 'unknown unknowns' when preparing Python

> packages for the Mac?

There are some things I do so I don't have to work around them
repeatedly.
1. build some things and install in /usr/local
- zlib
- libjpeg
- libxml2
- libxslt
- readline

That is all I can think of now.

> We would consider producing a Mac package if there was enough demand,

> as we may be doing the same for our commercial toolkit as well.

setuptools?