[reportlab-users] ReportLab website - www.reportlab.org to disappear....

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Dec 4 11:27:21 EST 2009

We are making some substantial changes to ReportLab's web sites, which
I'll cover in separate emails shortly. Most of these involve letting
people log in, contribute, or (for commercial clients) renew licenses.

We have decided to stop the "reportlab.org" domain and put all the
content under www.reportlab.com. This will probably happen just
before or after New Year. We'll do it seamlessly - people will see a
brief notice and get redirected.

Why? We have been working on many more features which will involve
people logging in. We did a lot of work to serve multiple sites out of
one code base, but it got harder and harder to make sure you can
seamlessly log in and move between them. We resolved almost all of
these but then realised we'd be maintaining a fairly complicated site
henceforth. We then we got into a lot of messy intellectual issues
about content which belongs on both sites. In the end, we decided
things will be simpler for everyone (especially us) to have one site,
and for us to put more of our time into PDF development rather than
web development.

What will change?
* There will be different menus for developers, branching into
open-source and commercial products
* We hope to use colour coding throughout so it will be very clear if
you are on an 'open source' page or 'commercial' one
* Because all the open source pages are part of our 'store front',
we'll pay quite a bit more attention to them than we have done in
recent years!
* With a common set of 'case studies', code snippets and output
examples, both open source and commercial developers will have a much
better idea of what our libraries can do

Overall, with new features we're rolling out and the ability for you
to contribute more easily, we are confident that our open source users
will be better supported than ever in 2010...

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect