[reportlab-users] reStructuredText to pythonpoint

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Fri Sep 26 13:59:09 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson <andy <at> reportlab.com> writes:

> If your long term goal is making documents from ReST, this is

> something I hope we will be able to help with. But I think Roberto's

> rst2pdf, and better support from us in Platypus for things like tables

> of contents, will provide a great route for anyone to create PDF

> manuals - or slide shows. There seems to be very little point in

> going from parsed ReST through XSLT to Pythonpoint markup and then a

> parser back into Python, when we could go straight to PDF in one

> process.

> - Andy

I agree with your thinking that rst2pdf is a more direct route from reST to PDF.
And, I think rst2pdf is a very good idea. I intend to look at it and use it.
Hopefully, it can be used to create slides in PDF. I've been using OpenOffice
ooimpress and then exporting to PDF, which is very awkward.

I do like the idea of transformations on XML with a backend that generates PDF.
And, I wanted to get a little more experience with XSLT. So, this was a good
exercise for me anyway.

And, thanks for a great library, by the way.

- Dave