[reportlab-users] reStructuredText to pythonpoint

Roberto Alsina ralsina at netmanagers.com.ar
Fri Sep 26 14:52:41 EDT 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008 14:59:09 Dave Kuhlman wrote:

> Andy Robinson <andy <at> reportlab.com> writes:

> > If your long term goal is making documents from ReST, this is

> > something I hope we will be able to help with. But I think Roberto's

> > rst2pdf, and better support from us in Platypus for things like tables

> > of contents, will provide a great route for anyone to create PDF

> > manuals - or slide shows. There seems to be very little point in

> > going from parsed ReST through XSLT to Pythonpoint markup and then a

> > parser back into Python, when we could go straight to PDF in one

> > process.

> > - Andy

> I agree with your thinking that rst2pdf is a more direct route from reST to

> PDF. And, I think rst2pdf is a very good idea. I intend to look at it and

> use it. Hopefully, it can be used to create slides in PDF. I've been using

> OpenOffice ooimpress and then exporting to PDF, which is very awkward.

If you need rst2pdf to do something special, other than "use landscape pages
and large fonts" ;-) let me know.

For example, page transitions, background drawings, that kind of thing.

--
("\''/").__..-''"`-. . Roberto Alsina
`9_ 9 ) `-. ( ).`-._.`) KDE Developer (MFCH)

by definition, not smart enough to debug it. --Brian W. Kernighan