[reportlab-users] reStructuredText to pythonpoint

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Sep 25 17:08:02 EDT 2008

2008/9/25 Dave Kuhlman <dkuhlman at rexx.com>:

> pythonpoint needs to be able to import things from the tools

> directory.

> I do not believe that this is the correct way to solve this, but

> it did work. Maybe there is something I'm missing about doing

> some set-up.

When we rearrange the structure (by popular demand), many things
outside the library broke, and this is one of them. (The other few
dozen were mostly demos and test suites in our commercial package so
invisible to you guys...). The plan is to move all library code in
'tools' into reportlab.lib somewhere so it's always importable.
We're hoping to work through this and do a 2.2.1 shortly
and I'll let people know when this is in SVN. Or you can do it first
and send a patch ;-)

> 2. pythonpoint supports bullet lists, but not enumerated/numbered

> lists. Are there plans to support enumerated lists? I notice

> in your documentation on pythonpoint, that there are notes about

> changing and deprecating the current bullet list support. Did

> that happen?

Pythonpoint is basically a demo I wrote - it predates even calling the
package 'ReportLab' - and I have no plans to extend it further myself.
There is simply too much other stuff to do on the rare occasions
some ReportLab staff have time to work on the open source libraries.
So it won't develop unless someone has the energy to send in patches.

If your long term goal is making documents from ReST, this is
something I hope we will be able to help with. But I think Roberto's
rst2pdf, and better support from us in Platypus for things like tables
of contents, will provide a great route for anyone to create PDF
manuals - or slide shows. There seems to be very little point in
going from parsed ReST through XSLT to Pythonpoint markup and then a
parser back into Python, when we could go straight to PDF in one
process.

- Andy