[reportlab-users] Svglib 0.6 to be released soon

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Sep 23 13:45:38 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> I've had some bad experience with changing another project

> of mine from GPL to MIT, because I believed people telling

> me they would not be allowed to contribute to the project if

> it stayed under GPL, which is kind of perverting the idea of

> the GPL, and I'm not willing to repeat this.

I have heard about this in the past, but never investigated the details, since
I had no immediate need.

> Anybody who wants to use (and modify) svglib will be able to

> do so, even after downloading it as an egg. For other, add-

> itional, licenses you'll need to convince me with good argu-

> ments.

The main problem is that you cannot use it in commercial projects. Since this
sort of technology is mostly useful to professional developers, that's a
bummer. In the Zope world we have been really happy with the ZPL license and
contributing back to the source code has never been an issue.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter