[reportlab-users] Svglib 0.6 to be released soon

Roberto Alsina ralsina at netmanagers.com.ar
Tue Sep 23 13:49:57 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:45:38 Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> > Anybody who wants to use (and modify) svglib will be able to

> > do so, even after downloading it as an egg. For other, add-

> > itional, licenses you'll need to convince me with good argu-

> > ments.

> The main problem is that you cannot use it in commercial projects. Since

> this sort of technology is mostly useful to professional developers, that's

> a bummer. In the Zope world we have been really happy with the ZPL license

> and contributing back to the source code has never been an issue.

Said "professional developers" are free to contact Dinu and pay him for a
license, are they not?

Sorry if this is uncalled for, but I am kinda bummed about people asking for
more liberal license in a library so they can use it in a *less* liberally
licensed app.

OTOH, there are ways around this GPLd library thing. Use IPC and keep it off-
process, for instance. The GPL doesn't apply to the produced PDF fragment.

--
("\''/").__..-''"`-. . Roberto Alsina
`9_ 9 ) `-. ( ).`-._.`) KDE Developer (MFCH)

by definition, not smart enough to debug it. --Brian W. Kernighan