[reportlab-users] ReportLab open source policy (was "headers and footers")

Dirk Holtwick dirk.holtwick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 07:16:21 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson schrieb:

> There is a subversion repository and a mailing list. That should be all

> anybody needs to send in patches.; and we'll give commit rights to

> anyone who sends in a few good patches and earns our trust. I do not

> personally believe that wikis and trackers will change the dynamics

> that much,

> but I'll be delighted if I am proven wrong.

Andy, the Reportlab project is great and useful. But what I see is that
because of leak of time you might begin to see the project as a burden.

I think you should give it a try and move Reportlab to one of the big
project hoster like Google Code, Sourceforge, Launchpad, Berlios and so
on. For Google Code I would be happy to support you with that.

Maybe there will be not much more supporters for Reportlab but I am sure
the quality will raise. Issue trackers, Wikis, SVN branches and so on
are useful tools for most of us developers. I would recommend to let all
developer in the project that like to contributeo. They can work in the
TRUNK and stable, productive and more conservative lines go into the
BRANCHES.

There are also some big things for the future that Reportlab is facing
and maybe has not the time for it. I am thinking about:

- Porting to Python 3000
- Implementing SetupTools scripts
- New paragraph implementations

Since my pisa project depends on Reportlab I would be happy to
contribute to it.

Thanks again Andy for your effort in making Reportlab a great open
source project. I know from my own projects that support is one of the
biggest time eating things in such a project ;)

Dirk