[reportlab-users] ReportLab open source policy (was "headers and footers")

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Sep 19 12:30:53 EDT 2008

Dirk Holtwick wrote:

> I think you should give it a try and move Reportlab to one of the big

> project hoster like Google Code, Sourceforge, Launchpad, Berlios and

> so on. For Google Code I would be happy to support you with that.

Why do you see that as a benefit? I'm just curious. To me, the
location of the hosting is completely irrelevant. I just want a place
to download stuff, a web site for information, and a mailing list for
exchange.

For ReportLab, the open source version is essentially a subset of the
commercial products that keep them in business, so there is great
business sense in maintaining one tree with tags/branches. If they
moved the open source part to a project hoster, that's a fork. Now they
have the burden of maintaining two separate code bases.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.