[reportlab-users] [BUG] Installation error on Windows

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Oct 15 04:09:28 EDT 2008

2008/10/15 Dirk Holtwick <dirk.holtwick at gmail.com>:

> Yes, they behave like this. But Reportlab is not constricted to have the

> extensions working (imagine Google AppEngine, see discussion before in this

> list).

True, but we have to make a decision which is the default, because
Python's setup tools are not interactive and don't give you checkboxes
and options.

We decided the C extensions should be included in the SOURCE distro
by default. If we can figure out an easy way to detect the compiler
and proceed without it, we will, but we have very little time. Could you
look into this?

>> Why don't you use the proper Windows installer? Look near the bottom

>> of the download page:

> Because I set up a virtual environment using "virtualenv". No idea how to

> use the Windows installers there...

Oh damn, yet another permutation to support....I suspect the distutils
windows-exe-builder is not going to be virtualenv-aware any time soon.
Anyone got any ideas on this?

- Andy