[reportlab-users] [BUG] Installation error on Windows

Dirk Holtwick dirk.holtwick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 04:30:26 EDT 2008

> We decided the C extensions should be included in the SOURCE distro

> by default. If we can figure out an easy way to detect the compiler

> and proceed without it, we will, but we have very little time. Could you

> look into this?

Look at the setup.py of "simplejson":

http://simplejson.googlecode.com/svn/tags/simplejson-2.0.3/setup.py

I found this hint in this thread (there is another example in the answers):

http://osdir.com/ml/python.distutils.devel/2007-03/msg00051.html

> Oh damn, yet another permutation to support....I suspect the distutils

> windows-exe-builder is not going to be virtualenv-aware any time soon.

> Anyone got any ideas on this?

I don't think that this has to be handled in a special way. If you want
to know if you are in the virtualenv you might want to look vor the
existence of the environment variable "VIRTUAL_ENV".

Dirk