[reportlab-users] Incorporating Data Plots in Reports

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 26 09:28:39 EDT 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Robin Becker wrote:

> Unfortunately eps inclusions in PDF are deprecated so we've never really

> supported eps in PDF.

Ah, well. Now that I've gained experience coding most of the input values
report I know better what the application needs and the limitations of the
tools to fit this application's specific requirements. While this report
does structure the values selected from database tables, it is doing so
indirectly, from lists of tuples returned.

All things considered, I now recognize that our needs are better met by
preparing the reports in LaTeX and having python execute pdflatex (or
latex->dvips->ps2pdf) in a shell. This decision is not at all a criticism of
ReportLab; it's a fine tool. But, not the tool we need.

So, I'm re-writing this module to apply PyX to the production of plots
(with .eps output) and the python file open(), write(), and close() commands
to create a LaTeX file on disk.

I greatly appreciate all the help and guidance from everyone here on the
mail list, from England to Tigard and points in between. Thank you all very
much.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Integrity Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Innovation