[reportlab-users] Editable fields in a table

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Mar 3 11:35:42 EST 2008

On 03/03/2008, Marty Bonner <martyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Morning,

> I have a project where we are delivering tables with trend data, and

> previously, we were calculating next year's target rates, so the columns of

> the table run (for instance) 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 Target. Now, the

> requirement has changed, the customer wants to be able to edit the target

> column, and set their own. Is there any way I can put editable fields into

> these tables? I've read through the documentation without finding what I'm

> looking for. I'd appreciate any hint one might offer, or even an "it can't

> be done."

They want to edit the PDF file? What do they want to do afterwards,
just print it, or collect it and feed back into another system?

We have done some experimental work with enabling fill-in fields in
PDFs. But if you used that, your table would have ugly edit boxes in
every cell.

If you are producing these reports off some kind of web-based or GUI
system, I would suggest to capture the data there and put it into the
PDF you generate. We use PDF as a "final output" solution, not a data
capture tool

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson