[reportlab-users] Editable fields in a table

Marty Bonner martyr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:04:14 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> They want to edit the PDF file? What do they want to do afterwards,

> just print it, or collect it and feed back into another system?

Just print. Though now that you mention it, I could very easily see a
recapture requirement in the future.

We have done some experimental work with enabling fill-in fields in

> PDFs. But if you used that, your table would have ugly edit boxes in

> every cell.

> If you are producing these reports off some kind of web-based or GUI

> system, I would suggest to capture the data there and put it into the

> PDF you generate. We use PDF as a "final output" solution, not a data

> capture tool

That does sound like a better solution, for the long term. Thank you very
much for your time and help, I really appreciate it.