[reportlab-users] pdf417 barcodes

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Dec 31 05:18:53 EST 2008

Carl Karsten wrote:

> first I want to thank Tim and Andy for the font stretching tips. worked

> like a charm. (at least Paul didn't grumble when I asked him to

> implement it in dabo :)

> Now to pdf417 barcodes - I need em.

> http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2006-July/005129.html

> says:

> "A colleague has pointed out that someone has already posted a PDF417

> implementation to the list, so we will take a look at this and contact

> the author."

> What ever happened with this?

> I searched the lists, and all I could find was a mention of

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf417encode/ here:

> http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2006-January/004657.html

> Three is also:

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf417lib/

> Not sure what the differences are.

> Carl K

As the person who did most of the work/extensions after Ty Sarna contributed the
original work I can tell you we have not implemented 417. I did look at the sf
project, but the license is GPL and we could not use it directly as our license
is more liberal. I know this thing can produce postscript so it is potentially
usable with a translation layer.