[reportlab-users] Mailing labels

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Apr 8 13:15:30 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson wrote:

> 2008/4/8 Mark Matthews <mem at object-craft.com.au>:

>> Hello there,

>> I have been requested to write a mailing labels module (7x2) for a client.

>> I had thought I would use tables and Flowables rather that attempt to

>> specify co-ordinated.

Personally, I have always found it easier to do the coordinates by
hand. I don't generally want my labels to "flow". It only takes about
30 lines of ReportLab code to create a sheet of Avery 5160 address labels.

> Bear in mind that some printers are not 100% accurate (especially

> cheap inkjets) and so actual results might not seem to agree perfectly

> with the label specifications.

Also, be sure to warn your clients to turn off "Auto Rotate and Center"
and set Page Scaling to "none" (the default is "Fit to Printable Area")
in the Acrobat print dialog. It is very frustrating to go to the
trouble to place every character precisely on the page, and then have
users complain that "the labels don't line up".

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.