[reportlab-users] Wrong characters displayed with AcrobatReader

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Apr 7 13:37:23 EDT 2008

Paolo G. Cantore:

> Please try to open the attached PDF with AdobeReader and you'll see

> what I mean. In the PDF all "c" characters are converted to "Y"

> characters (Certificate ==> CertifiYate). In other cases I had "a"

> converted to "7". When you open the PDF with xpdf or other viewers

> all is okay.

I've opened your PDF with various readers on the Mac (Preview,
Adobe Reader, Papers) and they basically all look the same and
show the effect you describe for "c" characters. Only Gimp seems
to show the expected "c" characters.

> The font used is Norasi (UTF-8 unicode) but the same applies to

> Cyberbit.

I don't know the canonical source for Norasi, but I found this
here: ftp://linux.thai.net/pub/thailinux/software/thai-ttf/
and since there seem to be many versions of it, it could be an
issue with the TrueType font itself, maybe...

> Is this a known behaviour of AcrobatReader?

> Am I doing something wrong?

> Do you have any suggestions or work around how to avoid this

> displaying problem?

Probably you should try to reproduce this with some minimal
sample code that you can show here, as Robin suggested, so
others can give it a try, too.

Regards,

Dinu