[reportlab-users] Bug in Paragraph class with tags when switching frames

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Nov 19 08:01:22 EST 2007

Dinu Gherman wrote:

> Robin Becker:

>> In fact I see we seem to have checks for completely empty hrefs, but

>> blanks might cause a problem. I tried putting some <a> tags into the

>> splitting example that was causing Henning a problem, but that doesn't

>> seem to make the links to disappear so if we are creating a spurious

>> link it has to be more complicated. I wonder what happens if I can

>> make the split happen in the middle of the link?

> I also tried that with the previous Donau example, but it rendered fine.

> I had not thought of potential space issues though. And for now I cannot

> imaging why splitting inside a link would be meaningful without hyphen-

> ation.

> But, I think it would be very helpful to have a debugging mode that would

> explicitly list all anchors and links, and more generally even individual

> paragraph fragments, maybe. I've started writing an extensible Paragraph

> class where such a debug mode turns out to be very helpful.

> Dinu

well the splitting was the thing that caused the problem before; I have added an
example to test_platypus_breaking that has a very long link text. The paragraph
gets split in the middle of the link, but the result doesn't suffer this
problem. I also added some syntax checking to force non-blank hrefs.