[reportlab-users] Bug in Paragraph class with tags when switching frames

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Nov 21 05:35:01 EST 2007

Robin Becker:

> well the splitting was the thing that caused the problem before; I

> have added an example to test_platypus_breaking that has a very

> long link text. The paragraph gets split in the middle of the link,

> but the result doesn't suffer this problem. I also added some

> syntax checking to force non-blank hrefs.

I found the bug related to this in my code. Apparently, assigning styles
in OpenOffice docs (and I guess this is true for other editors as well)
to parts of a paragraph can lead to leading or trailing blanks being in-
cluded in the styled text (like a URL), e.g.

spam www.foo.com eggs

becomes "tokenized" like this (simplifying a lot):

"spam ", "www.foo.com ", "eggs"

which my code transformed mindlessly into:

a>", "eggs"

so there was an undefined link destination.

I think it might be useful and possible to have better hints in
exception
messages as to what is actually happening and which link destination is
failing.

Thanks and regards,

Dinu