[reportlab-users] installation dir troubles

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Jun 26 17:58:58 EDT 2007

On 26/06/07, Frederik Himpe <fhimpe at telenet.be> wrote:

> It seems like it __init__.py(c) are put in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-

> packages/reportlab, while fonts/00readme.txt gets installed in

> /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/demos/stdfonts

This is what I always hated most about distutils. It insists on
handling your .py files separately from everything else, and one ends
up writing extra code (which needs refining for each packaging option
and maybe even each OS, it seems) just to reproduce a simple tree of
files. I guess we'll be able to fix this one shortly but it keeps
coming up.

Incidentally, we don't use distutils for shipping to customers. There
are much better systems for deploying code, such as 'tar' and 'zip'.
;-)

- Andy (having a grumble)