[reportlab-users] Asian text not rendered

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jul 30 14:29:42 EDT 2007

J Maxwell wrote:

> Japanese text in pdf files produced by reportlab 2.0 displays in some

> pdf viewers, but not in others.

> The demo Japanese pdf file from the reportlab site

> (http://www.reportlab.org/docs/jmed.pdf) displays correctly using the

> Evince pdf viewer on fedora 6, but the Japanese text isn't rendered at

> all when using the Kpdf viewer.

> However, a pdf file with Japanese text produced by openoffice is

> rendered in both evince and kpdf viewers without any difficulty.

> Reportlab 2.0 files that I have produced with Japanese text also fail

> to be rendered accurately in kpdf, but show in the evince pdf viewer.

> Can reportlab be tweaked to avoid this anomaly?

It is interesting to me that you view this as a failure in ReportLab,
rather than a failure in kpdf.

Are you sure you have the correct fonts installed? There's nothing
magic about Japanese text. The key is the fonts. The sample uses
HeiseiMin and HeiseiKakuGo. It's possible, for example, that your
OpenOffice test is using a different font, which kpdf happens to know about.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.