[reportlab-users] LayoutError: Splitting error

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Feb 26 05:14:02 EST 2007

dimitri pater wrote:

> Hi,

> Does anyone hear has a solution for the following error:

> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/reportlab/platypus/doctemplate.py",

> line 580, in handle_flowable

> raise LayoutError("Splitting error(n==%d) on page %d in\n%s" % (n,

> self.page,f.identity(30)))

> LayoutError: Splitting error(n==2) on page 6 in

> <Table at 139136748 4 rows x 5 cols> with cell(0,0) containing

> 'Component'

> I suspect it has something to do with the table I am trying to create and

> the PageBreak() function . I use Platypus. Your help is appreciated and if

> you need more info, please let me know.

> kind regards,

> Dimitri

without seeing a sample code it's hard to say exactly. That error happens when

1) A flowable fails to be added to a frame
2) Splitting succeeds
3) The first part of the split is not one of
(PageBreak,SlowPageBreak,ActionFlowable)
4) The attempt to add the first part of the split also fails.

It usually implies something fairly daft about the content. The split
succeeding is supposed to mean that the first part should fit, and then the fit
fails when you actually use it.