[reportlab-users] easy_install reportlab

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Dec 4 16:06:13 EST 2007

Robin Becker wrote:

> Dinu Gherman wrote:

>> So, what's the mood on eggification from ReportLab's side?

>> Dinu

> We (John Lee) tried once, but he had a rather exact attitude towards

> what should be included so I think it fell by the wayside. I would

> prefer that we included all of the extensions, but we have some problems

> with renderPM. In particular we need PIL+/-freeType and freeType is

> particularly hard to get right. Originally I expected distutils to

> develop to the point where it would come with a bunch of standard common

> setups eg how to use openssl, freetype, tklib etc etc etc, but that

> hasn't happened. No doubt egg land will eventually surpass distutils,

> but at present it just relies on it for src installs.

> No doubt we'll see one of these in core python so that's the time to

> adopt. Unless they make it easy to compile with all sorts of weird

> dependants it won't help anyone to do src installs.

It would benefit me.

On a clean box, install python, install easy install

easy_install Reportlab-2.1.tar.gz (see my first post for where this came from)

then run this:

from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
p = canvas.Canvas(open('test.pdf','wb'))
p.drawString(100, 100, "Hello world.")
p.showPage()
p.save()

get the expected pdf.

As for what it should depend on/include, that can be handled with meta packages
which are nothing but a set of dependencies, one of which is the basic reportlab.

Note: I am not familiar with compiling or packaging reportlab, and I hardly use
it directly (I use dabo, which wraps it.) I am basing my posts on observations
of what I have been able to do.

Carl K