[reportlab-users] easy_install reportlab

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Dec 4 08:18:25 EST 2007

Dinu Gherman wrote:

> So, what's the mood on eggification from ReportLab's side?

> Dinu

We (John Lee) tried once, but he had a rather exact attitude towards what should
be included so I think it fell by the wayside. I would prefer that we included
all of the extensions, but we have some problems with renderPM. In particular we
need PIL+/-freeType and freeType is particularly hard to get right. Originally I
expected distutils to develop to the point where it would come with a bunch of
standard common setups eg how to use openssl, freetype, tklib etc etc etc, but
that hasn't happened. No doubt egg land will eventually surpass distutils, but
at present it just relies on it for src installs.

No doubt we'll see one of these in core python so that's the time to adopt.
Unless they make it easy to compile with all sorts of weird dependants it won't
help anyone to do src installs.