[reportlab-users] Problem setting up renderPM and rl_accel

wayne allen scott wayne at wayne-scott.com
Wed Jul 12 12:55:45 EDT 2006

Since I got a reply, I will tell anyone interested about my problems.  Let
me preface this by saying that although I have been using/programming
computers as a hobbyist for 33 years, I am a Linux novice.

I have everything I want to do working on a Windows PC.  I need to convert
what I am doing to a Web Server.  Thus the desire to use Linux/Apache.

I have found that neither Suse Linux 10 nor Red Hat Linux 9 have a
standard Python installation with their versions of Linux.  They both
leave off distutils.  Suse uses Python 2.4.  Red Hat uses 2.2

I tried to install Python 2.4.3 on the Suse box and had issues.  I have
learned that I need rpm--whatever that is--to successfully install Python.

In the day or two I will try to install the distutils from python.org to
see if this fixes my problem without a complete reinstall of Python to
either Linux box.  Barring that, I will eventually figure out how to
install Python if I need to.

I will eventually figure this out and get things working but some help
along the way would make my life a little easier.

I know that my issues are with Linux (and to a lesser degree Python) and
that this may not be the best forum for this discussion but I do not know
exactly where else to post.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Wayne