[reportlab-users] Problem setting up renderPM and rl_accel

John J. Lee jjlee at reportlab.com
Thu Jul 13 05:24:26 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, wayne allen scott wrote:

> I have found that neither Suse Linux 10 nor Red Hat Linux 9 have a
> standard Python installation with their versions of Linux.  They both
> leave off distutils.  Suse uses Python 2.4.  Red Hat uses 2.2
[...]

I think you need to install an RPM named something like "python-dev" or
"python-devel".  I had thought the Linux distros had fixed this irritation
by now, but it seems not...

It's standard on Linux distributions to split up packages in this way, so
that people who just want to use a program or library can get the minimum
they need easily, and people who want to develop software that involves
that program or library have to install the "-dev" or "-devel" package
too.

> I know that my issues are with Linux (and to a lesser degree Python) and
> that this may not be the best forum for this discussion but I do not know
> exactly where else to post.

No problem.  The newsgroup comp.lang.python (also accessible as mailing
list python-list at python.org) is a good place for these kinds of questions: