[reportlab-users] using reportlab derivatives

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Dec 5 16:54:50 EST 2005

> I don't think TRML is a "fork" because I don't think Reportlab RML has been
> released by reportlab.com ... have you ? I think TRML is an independent
> implementation, and yes, the author is unresponsive (atleast to me).

RML is still closed source.  Our core business involves document servers
priced at USD 25k and up as part of enterprise projects, and it would be
almost impossible to keep selling these if we open-sourced all the key
components.

TRML is an independent partial implementation of the RML specification,
and my main complaint about it is that they don't clearly describe it as
such or provide support for their own users, so people
end up asking here and we can't help them.

I am not aware of any forks.

We have a few 'branches' but that's our problem ;-)  More on that later.

- Andy