[reportlab-users] using reportlab derivatives

will at phototropia.org will at phototropia.org
Mon Dec 5 18:12:26 EST 2005

Friends:
     Apologies as fork probably isn't the right word.  I keep stumbling on
so many things that use pdfgen, and TRML uses a link to RML's
commercial manual as for its manual.  I also did not receive a
response from an email to the TRML folks asking about this.  I tried
to ask the question in broader terms for others like us who are vague
on etiquette in the open source world.  From asking around, this is
what seems to be good etiquette:
     If one is adding to or planning to fork an open source app, they
should first contact the developers not just to inform them, but
because you may be bringing something they would want to add to their
project and a fork/separate app isn't needed.  When a separate app
using another's main code is released, one should contact the
developers again to offer to provide a link and as a courtesy.  This
helps the original developers to  know how their code is being used.
     This is just from a quick poll of my Geek friends, sorry again for
using the term fork improperly,

Will