[reportlab-users] Widget Libraries, anywhere??

Rasjid Wilcox reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:59:51 +1000

On Thursday 09 October 2003 23:17, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Our constraint #1 is that we have a dedicated server from
> Pair Networks without a root account, and we don't want
> to share the accunt password with lots of maintainers.
> So installing anything which needs a long running process
> needs their approval. In general we are very happy with our web
> hosts.

Many of the open-source CMS systems do not require root access, nor do they
involve giving uses of the system any shell or password access at all.  Some
don't even require it to install.

The real issue is do your webhosts run MySQL and Perl/PHP?

See http://www.opensourcecms.com/ for a site that reviews a large number of
free or open-source CMS and related systems, none of which require root
access to set up.

> We'll be thinking through if we can use our own 'core technology'
> i.e. CVS and a templating system - to let people contribute site
> content under certain marked areas as well as code.  It
> should be easy to make a 'dot-org' project parallel to
> reportlab's code, and I am told it is possible to have different
> access controls, so anyone who wished to contribute could quickly
> be given write access to a subdirectory of this, and click a
> link to pull content from what they had checked in onto
> the server.  I am sure there are a dozen other schemes
> too...

I'm a little confused here.  Is the CVS and templating system just for code,
or for webpages too?  Anyway, I look forward to hearing the what comes our of
tomorrows meeting.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--