[reportlab-users] Widget Libraries, anywhere??

Rasjid Wilcox reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:13:36 +1000

On Thursday 09 October 2003 22:11, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> Hmm, why not just use sourceforge or a similar service and start a
> project called, say "reportlab-contrib"?

Hmm... because it is not really designed to be a repository for lots of lit=
tle=20
contributions from different people all under the one project.  Unless we r=
an=20
a CMS/Wiki etc on the reportlab-contrib.sf.net website.  But then, why sf?

> Maybe using an alternative to sourceforge would be in order, because sf
> seems to be more shaky as time progresses, e.g. I'm not able to do
> anonymous CVS checkouts for several days now (fortunately, there's the
> current.zip on reportlabs site).

This is a bit off-topic, but there is a reason for this.
=46rom the SourceForge.net Sitewide Update (at 2 Oct 2003) :

CVS Update
=2D--------------------------------------------
(This section was sent to project admins last week)
As you may have noticed, CVS is visibly having growing pains. Due to
system load, we have had to move anonymous checkouts to our backup=20
server. <snip>

This is what we are doing about it: We have 6 new systems that have been
installed in our co-location facility. These are very fast Xeon systems,
with very fast RAID.

<big snip>

As of right now, we are working around the clock to get these new boxes
online to give relief to the performance issues. <snip> Hang in there, we w=
ill=20
have this behind us in the very near term.

Update: Two of the six systems are now online.  It is likely you have
already have already noticed a difference.  CVS stats will be back
online shortly as well.

=2D--------------------

> Maybe http://developer.berlios.de/ would be an alternative, it's based
> on the free version of the sourceforge software and offers web+php+mysql
> access.
>
> One could use the patch management system to accept contributions from
> people not willing to join.

I'm not conviced that SF or its equivalents are really the right approach, =
but=20
if that was the direction taken, I would go with SourceForge (rather than o=
ne=20
of the others) since it does have the following advantages:
a) a high profile
b) decent financial backing
c) a number of other big python projects use it (including both Python itse=
lf=20
and xwPython).
d) a foundry devoted to python

I frequently look at SoureForge for opensource projects and forget to look=
=20
elsewhere (well, usually remember Google and Freshmeat).

Also, OSDN now employ Linus to work full time on Linux, which in my view ea=
rns=20
them a lot of brownie points.  :-)

If I had to vote, I'd vote for SourceForge, but I'd rather see something el=
se,=20
at least for the user contributions.

That being said, I *would* really like to have a public bug-tracking system=
=20
for ReportLab (although this is just because I think every open-source=20
project should have one).  ReportLab could use SF for that. (Python uses SF=
=20
for managing bugs, patches, feature request and CVS - and nothing else as f=
ar=20
as I can tell).

Cheers,

Rasjid.